Social Icons

Technology has been good to video

Because I've been in this business a long time, (I'm a videographer in the Triangle/Triad in NC) I appreciate the benefits of technology in my field. When I was a kid, my father gave me a used Super 8 Kodak camera. It took cartridges that gave 3 minutes of filming time for about $10 for buying and developing the film(and that was in 1970's dollars). It had a 3x optical zoom and had pretty bad sound. If you wanted to shoot indoors, you needed special Tungsten film and a lot of light. Editing involved cutting the film and taping the ends together with tape!

Today of course we have cameras that record to memory cards in HD. In terms of cost/min, well it might be $0 if you're only using the memory in the camera. Even compared to a few years ago when you were shooting SD to tape, the images are spectacular. Wider zoom ranges, better wireless mics and digital recorders, lower light capability are all improving not to mention the editing capabilities we have now with computers.

Video gives you picture AND sound and recreates the moment.

Remember when VHS camcorders came out? People marveled at the ability to record 2 hours of video even if you couldn't recognize your fiancee in the pasty picture when you zoomed out to a wide shot. We've gone from 240 lines of horizontal resolution to 1920!

I think my point is that today you get so much more from motion picture reproduction in terms of quality and recreating the moment, yet video tends to be the first thing cut from a wedding budget.

I see the value in video as being the best it's ever been yet, the percentage of people who get a wedding video is about the same as it was when VHS camcorders came out.

So I'm curious about why you think professional video isn't used more. Iphones and andriods? Too expensive? People don't appreciate the value? I'm all wet, everybody gets a video?

What do you think?