Social Icons

Photo Printer Technology Lags Camera Ability

I recently purchased a new Nikon to replace my aged Nikon D70 that is having problems, mirror hangs up. The image quality from my new Nikon when viewed on my computer monitor is just amazing. What I find very disappointing is print quality from my all in one Kodak printer and all of my friend's printers which I have tried including a wide paper printer with eight inks. I would like recommendations for a printer, preferably affordable or used that will give me the print quality that I am looking for. I have never thought that photo printers have kept up with advancing digital camera technology. From my own experience and for my own standards, I've found the Epson R2400 (at this point mine is probably 8 years old but still going relatively strong) to be excellent. To be honest, I've found that the all-in-one's aren't the right tool for someone who wants high-end results, and even worse, oftentimes "affordable" and "high-end quality" are somewhat mutually exclusive. Something else to keep in mind: the monitor is a transmissive light medium, and printers/paper are reflective. There is a quality present in the monitor which simply won't translate to paper no matter what printer you use. Also, there are some sharpness qualities which render different with pixels than with pigment, so you may have to adjust sharpness settings on a paper by paper, and printer by printer, basis. I am also saving my pennies to purchase the Nikon DF which will take all of the old Nikon lenses as well as the new. Imagine all of the old great Nikon lenses out there at reasonable cost including some I have had for decades.