Social Icons

Thinking of becoming an event organizer?

Q: I have been looking into a couple different career paths over the last few weeks and have been asking for advice or guidance from professionals in each category. One of my top choices at this point is a wedding planner or a general event planner. I am sure there are a couple professional planners in this forum and I would love to get some guidance from you. I have helped plan and catered a couple events and enjoyed it all very much. I am currently 25 and have a couple connections to people who are in industries related to weddings. Should I look into just trying to start on my own or look for an established planner to work for/with? I am in a small area so I know its not going to be in high demand in my immediate area, is that going to pose a big issue? Thank you in advance for any guidance!

I might suggest you either work for some planners or even just try to get a job in any major hotels that have conference rooms and book events, just to start building any related experience to planning. You have a Hyatt and few higher end places, try to get a job there and work you way up to that. Just one thought about how to approach it. I just took a peek and google Rochester hotels to get a feel for what's there.

Another thing to consider is that helping plan an event is also very different than doing it for a living, working with clients you do not know. (I assume the ones you helped with you knew the people, right?).

Also, if your area is going to be low demand, yes, that will definitely be a big issue. How would you propose to make a living doing it? How ritzy and upscale is your area to begin with, meaning what does the average wedding cost around there?

I might also get to know all the vendors in the area, learn who all the florists are, catering companies, wedding photographers, people that rent out tables and chairs, etc., etc.

Are you currently married? Have you been to any local Bridal expos? Google rochester, NY, bridal expo And start going to them, learn all you can about the resources, that will one, not only give you connections which is what you want to do, start to develop networks (even if you work for a hotel or someone else, your personal connections come into pay) and also give you a better sense of demand.

If you love planning, you should get out there and do it. Just be sure to consider how much you would really make if you do it on your own. ie, how many clients paying how much would you need to make ends meet (and don't forget to set aside oh, maybe ballpark 30% for taxes).