Social Icons

Cast your mind back about ten years


Remember the EOS 10D? It seems it was a spectacular camera when it came out. Lots of glowing reviews still exist on the web. I own one now, I picked it up used from a studio photographer. I've had it for about two or three years. I am not a photographer by trade, but I sometimes get lucky and capture a real nice image.

I would like to learn how to use my camera better, how to understand its features and those mysterious "custom functions." I re-printed the non-introductory portions of the owner's manual onto 8 1/2 x 11 paper and keep it in a binder so I can refer to it more easily than thumbing through the credit-card-sized original. I am surprised, however, that I haven't been able to turn up a how-to book focusing on this specific camera. Something like this, but for the Canon 10D.

The reason I want a book devoted to the camera I have is so that I can get specific instructions like "Press the * button, then use the large function wheel on the back to select [the appropriate feature] from the rear screen menu--the LCD display will [do this and that]" rather than "Adjust the color temperature and then set ISO to 200 and a shutter speed of..." whatever, which sends me tearing all through the manual to find out how to adjust each of those settings.

Was there such a book? Preferably something like a workshop with exercises rather than a "for Dummies" type book.