Social Icons

Tripod recommendations


Q: I'm looking for a good tripod but the prices are outrageous. I'm not a professional and $300+ is just not economically sound. There has to be some really good solid tripods that are affordable. I'm using a DLSR with battery grip for still photos, no video. I have an old school Velbon and it's really solid. It's also heavy and hard to travel with. I've been looking a generic branded models but I just don't know if they are solid.

A: So what's your actual budget? Does that budget need to include a head? What is the biggest setup (camera and lens) you plan to shoot with on this rig? Do you want to be able to get the camera to eye level (or at least close) without raising the center column, or are you ok with compromising by either stooping down a bit or raising the center column (which reduces stiffness)?

If you want light and strong. Of course the better ones are going to be expensive, I spent more than $300 on the legs alone for mine but it will last me forever and I give thanks I splurged every time I put it over my shoulder. For me it was economically sound because I consider the work it saves me a value as well as the fact that cheaper ones will not last as long so the cost is lower in the long run.

There are store brands out there like Promaster that make reasonably priced carbon fiber legs, but the hardware is a bit cheap and can be difficult to work in the field. You can also check ebay, and see what the Chinese sellers are offering. Again, be careful of the cheaper ones because a small bit of broken plastic hardware can render it useless.

Hate to say it but you get what you pay for. Might get lucky and find a used decent one on but, solid, light and cheap are self canceling traits when it comes to a trip-pod.