Social Icons

Mega Pixel question

Ok so I really enjoy doing video and have started getting into photography as well. Right now I have a Canon hfm31 camcorder that also does stills. It says it is a 3 megapixel camera and it takes really nice photos. I liked this camcorder because it had aux mix input for my rode shotgun mic. I also have a go pro hero 3 silver edition which is 11 megapixels and have taken a few videos so far with it. 

My question is this : How come photos taken with the go pro 11 megapixel to me don't look as good or as clear as photos taken with my camcorder which is only 3 megapixels. I mean I know my canon was around 800 new and the go pro was only 300 new but I figured it would take much cleaner pics being 11 mega pixel. One reason I ask is I am debating on putting another camera in my line up but I don't have a ton of cash so I was looking in the 500 dollar range and the 2 cameras I was looking at were: The canon sx 50: it does video has a built in long zoom lens, Does HDR etc and seems like a pretty good all in one. 12.1 mp 

The Nikon d3200: it does video as well but has interchangeable lens I am not sure I want to get into all the different lens's but I may just haven't decided yet. 24.2 mp I do this more for fun not as a professional or anything. I do enjoy Photoshop and after effects and doing special type effects. Any advice would be great.